Hair loss is a common, yet very disturbing phenomenon. It not only affects the looks of the individual but also the confidence usually.
There are various reasons for hairloss, and the management depends on the underlying reason.
Ideally, whenever you’re losing hairs due to unexplained reasons, go visit a dermatologist. In fact more than one doctors and get their opinion.
Causes of hair loss
Common reasons for hairloss include:
- Age – obviously, with increasing age, we lose hairs
- Skin conditions
- Dermatitis / eczema
- Skin infections
- Poor diet
- Dramatic weight loss
- Hormonal imbalances
- When it runs in your family that everyone loses hair at a certain age
- Chlorine – in swimming pools
- Rebounding creams – even best company ones too
- Hair straightening creams – even best ones
- Hair gel – even the best ones, again
- Over-styling or aggressive treatment to hairs or scalp
- Medicines – certain medicines result in hair loss too, including:
- Chemotherapy for cancer patients
- Blood thinners
- Medical conditions, like:
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Various other anemias
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Physical stress, mostly reversible loss of head hairs – due to:
- Any surgery
- Physical accident
- Severe illness
- Any kind of physical trauma
- Even flu – causes temporary hairloss though
- Emotional stress – less likely though
- Elevated levels of Vitamin A
- Thus don’t take vitamin supplements like bunties and toffees, use them when needed and advised only
- Vitamin B deficiency
- Lack of proteins
- Overactive immune system
- Trichotillomania – pulling your hairs as a habit
- Anabolic steroids
The treatment of hairloss depends on the underlying cause. Therefore it’s best to go visit a doctor practically and get the expert opinion for your specific case.
Tips to stop hairloss
I’m not going to advice medicine here directly, as certain medicines that work well in one condition or cause can damage more in the other. Therefore never use any medication unless advised.
- Having a healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Taking care of your skin and scalp
- Oiling your head
- Taking proper shower and head wash with shampoo right after swimming
- Using gel, rebounding and hair straightening creams
- Swimming in chlorinated water
- Masturbation – it affects your skin a lot and various other organs and systems of the body too
How to reverse hair loss
Hair loss is sometimes reversible. There are various conditions and if yours fits in this category or not has to be discussed with your dermatologist. Remember to get opinion from more than one doctor before jumping to solutions and conclusions.
Minoxidil is useful in various cases. There are many brands and formulations of this chemical available in the market. Discuss with your doctor regarding the one that’s best for you, as they contain other chemicals too including vectors, that might not be suitable for your skin or condition that you’re having.