Clinical Classification of Seizures
Seizures, also known as epilepsy, can have multiple types and thus different signs and symptoms depending upon the type of seizure.
Types of seizures
Clinically seizures can be classified as follows:
A. Generalized epilepsy
- Major generalized seizures: grand mal epilepsy
- Minor generalized seizures: petit mal epilepsy, myoclonic seizures
B. Partial epilepsy
- Simple partial seizures: temporal lobe epilepsy
- Complex partial seizures: with secondary generalization
- Focal motor seizures of childhood
- Myoclonus epilepsy
C. Partial Seizure with Secondary Generalization
The cause and the area affected in the episode of seizure varies with the type of the seizure and so thus the management plan for that type of epilepsy.